A public policy forum "Beyond Milwaukee County: Challenges Facing Wisconsin’s Other Counties" was held at the Italian Conference Center in Milwaukee on May 17, 2010. Moderated by Charles Law Director, UW-Extension Local Government Center. The presentation is available for watching or listening from Wisconsin Eye. Follow this link to the Forums page of Wisconsin Eye. Forums are organized by date – scroll down to May 17, 2010 to find this discussion.
Panelists for this forum included:
David Bretl, Walworth County Administrator
Doug Johnson, Washington County Administrative Coordinator
William Reynolds, Racine County Executive
Thomas Meaux, Ozaukee County Administrator
Daniel Vrakas, Waukesha County Executive
The recording is a little over 1 hour in length. Following is an index to the program. The time marks are indicated as 00:00:00 which indicates the number of minutes into the recording.
· Bill Haberman – former trustee Public Policy Institute – opening remarks - 0:15 – 5:00
· Rob Henken – President, Public Policy Institute - 5:30 - 8:30: Introductory remarks, introduce Chuck Law
· Chuck Law, Director, Local Government Center, UW-Extension – introduce panelists: 8:31 – 15:45
· First question: why you think county government is needed and the role it plays – 16:00 – 27:00
· Please give your perspective on State/County relationships – 27:30 – 37:15
· Please comment on the changes that have taken place in recent years in the field of human services – 37:45 – 42:00
· Please talk about your relationships with towns and municipalities regarding intergovernmental cooperation, collaboration and consolidation – 42:00 – 49:15
Walworth County as a model for intergovernmental cooperation, still work to do on sharing of services.
Waukesha County sharing services with other counties.
· Tell us how each of your County Boards are structured and how they work with the executive/management team. 49:30 – 56:30
· What are your views as to whether an elected or appointed county executive/manager works better – 57:00 – 1:01:30
· What are your thoughts regarding the responsibilities of Milwaukee County government – all the normal functions of County government plus major transit system, comprehensive park s system and a major airport. 1:01:45 – 1:05:45
· Questions from audience:
What services should be handled by the County? 1:06:00 – 1:08:00
· Conclusion – 1:08:30